Squeling noise from transmission

For all our foreign friends, that also drive
the famous Scenic RX4
Antworten
jp

Squeling noise from transmission

Beitrag von jp »

Hello,

My Rx4 makes a strange squealing noise that doesn?t appear all the time: only when it?s wet outside and especially when turning hard left or right. This squeal ("woo-onn-ggggg 8O) also is heard on very slow speed - never on a highway, but on the corners and for example on parking lots.

At the same time it resonates on the steering wheel - I can feel it in my hands.

I have thought that it?s the brakes, but I don?t need to push the brake pedal to make that sound come up. Just turning or driving slow.

Oh, and it never makes the sound longer than a few seconds.

Strange, huh? It hasn?t got worse in a few years, it?s just that the winter here in Finland has been very wet and moist this year and I?ve had to listen to that noise every day for the last months...it didn?t make that sound when it was -40 celsius outside..

If you?ll come up with an idea, please let me know.

Cheers,

JP, Fin

PS. About the weather..the plastic covers of Rx4 can take the freezing cold - 40 celsius. One time the temperature dropped from -15 to -38 in a distance of some 50 kilometres and I drove around 130 km/h. Yeah, the plastics made some popping noise, but that was all. :D The rear window is kind of hard to close when its colder than -25..the lock freezes.
ajseymour

Beitrag von ajseymour »

Hi ya

It wouldn't be the power steering belt? Does the Rx4 even have a power steering belt?

Just a thought - more than likely useless ](*,)

Andrew
jp

Beitrag von jp »

Thanks for your reply - it may be useful after all: it could explain why the noise appears only in slow speed and when turning. It is just that I remember hearing that noise when driving straight.

If the power streering isn?t functioning properly, maybe it might make strange noise even if it shouldn?t be in use at all (when driving straight, that is)?
ajseymour

Beitrag von ajseymour »

As you said it was the turning at low speeds that made me think of it but i am unsure if it would make noises when going straight, I would say its worth a check anyway.
Bobi-BG
Alltagssurfer
Alltagssurfer
Beitrag von Bobi-BG »

Hi,jp :D First look your alternator,hydraillc...etc belt.Maybe it is loose,and you must tighten it.Second it's maybe hydraillc pump.Third-in low speed (parking for example) there is a valve,which allow you to turn steering maximum(in highter speed the valve closes and you can't turn steering so much).Maybe this valve makes problem,but I don't thik.
Start with the belt,I am almost sure the problem is that,especially of the problem apears when outside weather is wet :roll:
Bild Bild
jp

Beitrag von jp »

Solved! It was the wheel bearing that was worn out.
Antworten