Anti skid

For all our foreign friends, that also drive
the famous Scenic RX4
Antworten
jp

Anti skid

Beitrag von jp »

Hello all of you - I just signed in to this forum

Have you tried to get rid of that anti-skid -system (also known as traction control or ARS) of the front wheels? On ice (or other slippery ground) it slows the front wheels a bit (by brakes) to prevent them from skidding too much - I quess youre familiar with this.

Only that by braking the front wheels before the rear wheels will get any power thru Haldex, it causes in some causes the engine to stall. Just try to speed from halt in deep snow with your Rx4, and you?ll know what I?m talking about.

The idea of Haldex-type-of-4x4 is that when the front wheels skid, some of the power is directed to the rear axle as well. Thus it?s kind of foolish to brake the front wheels and at the same time cut the power.

I quess that this system can be shut off for example by removing the circuit breaker - the ABS system can be shut off by doing this. Been there, done that - on a Volvo estate tough.

If the circuit breaker thing works, an on/off switch could be quite easy to make.

Thanks for a great lookin fansite & forum

J-P, Finland

EDIT: proper term is traction control..circuit breaker=fuse
Alex
EX-Webmaster
EX-Webmaster
Beitrag von Alex »

Hi jp and welcome to Finland!

seems like you own one of the older RX4's without the switch to deactivate
the ASR.

This switch turn off the ASR till the speed of 35 or 40 km/h i think.
If you go faster, the ASR is already on because of the ABS.

You can workaround this with a switch that cut of the ASR/ABS from
the power as you wrote before.

I don't know the electronics of the RX4 so good to explain you how the
switch in the newer RX4 is wired and possibly for the older ones also :(

Have a nice time here at the RX4 forum!

Cheers,

Alex
Bild Hyundai Terracan 2,9 CRDI GLS Schalter
jp

Beitrag von jp »

Hello Alex and thanks for your reply!

Yes, I drive a 2001 Rx4 and it lacks that switch. I?m sure a switch won?t be too hard to make - after all it?s only about finding the right wire...I?ll have to think about it before next winter.

J-P
Alex
EX-Webmaster
EX-Webmaster
Beitrag von Alex »

yeah ... maybe someone know the right wire here!?
Or someone got a cable layout?
Juriaan

ESP / Anti Skid

Beitrag von Juriaan »

Hi -

I recently bought a 2002 RX4 - and I also have a problem with the ESP - when driving in thick sand - if you get stuck - youre stuck - there is no whay to "spinn" yourself out - and mine is also not fitted whith the switch - and according the Reno SA - they dont even stock it - so if you find a way to disable it - please let me know.

Regards

Juriaan
South Africa
Alex
EX-Webmaster
EX-Webmaster
Beitrag von Alex »

You can disconnect the fuse for ABS. The ESP system should use the
same fuse.

Try it :)
Rodrx4
Alltagssurfer
Alltagssurfer
abouth the desconection

Beitrag von Rodrx4 »

Hi:
in here "Spain" renault, also refuses to put the switch on my 2001 rx4, fo control the a.s.r., they says the risk for spinning is to high and even when i write them a paper assuming all responsabilities, they denign it.
I have desconected the fuse, but then you have on red lights on youre dashboard, like stop, services and brakes, and also others in yellow, im not sure how good o safe is to drive like that.
any opinions o suggestions?
-i forgot to says, that i really feel a improvement on my rx4 skills withouth the fuse-
regrads,
Rod
Rodrx4
Alltagssurfer
Alltagssurfer
Beitrag von Rodrx4 »

Hi Juriaan:
Nice to read from you, so far and so close, by the web amazing isnt?
im sorry for didnt answer before,
abouth the anti skid / ESP, well, i did take off the fuse, and it sims to work diferently. i can feel the rear wheels going stronger on -not adherenced- terrain.
But the issue, was that my ligths of abs, service and stop (in red color), where on during all the test.
and im not secure that it would affected something.
Then i was planing to go at Marroc in our scenic, so i went to renault to ask for installing the original block, but they didnt wanted to do it, because accourding to the brand of the abs "called BOSCH", there would be a extrem risk of capsizing. and they didnt wanted to asumethe risk.
But i dont know if they will just put a switch over the fuse o do something more on the centralita.
so, i really dont know if it would be a main damage to the car to take of the fuse, im sorry for dont give you a more percise.
i would put this on the forum to see the opinion of others ussers,
kind regards from Spain,
some day you will see us arriving to youre country in our Scenic Rx4 jajaja, regards,
Rod
Antworten