New Member from Scotland

For all our foreign friends, that also drive
the famous Scenic RX4
Antworten
rairb1

New Member from Scotland

Beitrag von rairb1 »

Hello there to all the RX4 owners out there from Scotland. I have just recently purchased a 2003 1.9Dci RX4 with 64500 miles on the clock. Which is not a huge mileage for a diesel. The car was purchased from a small garage in Cumbernuald on the latter part of June. During the first week of having the car I could hear a distinct droning noise coming from the rear of the car along with an occasional clunck come chattering sound, then on came the engine management light with a pretty severe lack in power. After a few minutes the light went out and the power came back. The car was taken to a small independent garage in Irvine where I live and the diagnosis was not very good. The engine management light and lack of power was pretty straight forward, this was the EGR valve which was just removed and cleaned and put back in, but more serious was the drone and knocking noise from the back end. The propshaft coupling (big black doughnut type thing) and the final drive were away. To purchase the parts from Renault was pretty severe, prices are as follows : propshaft coupling ?240 + vat, final drive ?1780 + vat.
To say the least I was gutted. Fortunately the car is under warranty...just. And today the car was returned to the garage to be repaired. Not a good start to a car I have wanted to own for some time. Other than that the car has performed well 2 kids, 1 dog, 2 adults weekend away camping to Fort William...............priceless.

Will try and keep updated of my progress.

Scott
GLund

Beitrag von GLund »

Hi Scott, sorry not from Scotland but please do not hold that against me!!

I keep an eye on this forum as our RX4 doesn't seem to fit in many other forums. Joined the Renault Sports Club forum but they seem full of, shall we say, younger drivers in their Clio's etc, and think the RX4 looks 'neat'. I think the RX4 is the best of the 15 cars I've owned, and suits my family of 2 adults and 2 kids (no dog) very well. Wife has a regular Scenic but not different enough for me. Managed to get through a relatively flooded road at the weekend in Leicestershire where some normal family cars were turning around. Felt very proud of the car!!

It would be great to have our own website but then again isn't this what this International Forum is for!! I assume you won't be coming down the England to the Renault World Series at Donnington in September.

Sorry to say I've had no problem with my 2001 'Y' reg in the last 12 months since I've had it and despite 3 new tyres at the weekend, it sailed through it's MOT.

Regards.

Gary.
Alex
EX-Webmaster
EX-Webmaster
Beitrag von Alex »

Welcome Scott, have fun with your RX4. Maybe we can visit you on our next Scotlandtour :wink:

Gary, please be careful with the driving through water.
In the past we had one user here at the forum who underestimated the
water deep in a tunnel.
How deep was the water you crossed?
The water shouldn't deeper than 30-35cm!

To all British people our best wishes are with you that the situation will be better soon!!!

cu.

Alex
Bild Hyundai Terracan 2,9 CRDI GLS Schalter
GLund

Beitrag von GLund »

Fortunately I am not in the worst affected area of flooding. I also wish those people the best of wishes.

I would guess the water would have been around the 35cm mark, and flowing rapidly. Having a petrol RX4 I slipped the clutch to keep the revs high to prevent water entering the exhaust, but crawled through the water so the electrics were not flooded.

Watching the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring on Sunday reminded me of the rain we saw last week. Were you affected by the heavy downpours Alex?

Regards.

Gary
Alex
EX-Webmaster
EX-Webmaster
Beitrag von Alex »

Gary,

no we were not affected. The heavy rain was very local. Only some areas
are affected. We are living nearly the Rhine so this can happen to us next time too :(
Bild Hyundai Terracan 2,9 CRDI GLS Schalter
Antworten